Menstruation: Breaking the Silence

During my middle school years, I was taught to keep quiet about my menstrual cycle. Whether at home or school, we would whisper or use code words to discuss our problems. Dealing with the discomfort of painful cramps and mood swings while trying to hide it all was burdensome. Instead of receiving comfort during a time when I needed it most, I was isolated to one room of my house.

Initially, I felt ashamed and guilty when I got my first period. The changes happening in my body made me feel insecure. Society's restrictions made me feel impure during those days. I used to pray for my periods to go away, but now I understand their importance.

Fortunately, I was raised in a family that encouraged me to have my own opinions and question things. We had open discussions about various topics, but menstruation was different. I was told not to discuss it openly outside the family. While my mother was supportive and my father understood, others did not. However, how long could a free-spirited person be confined?

The societal stereotype made me hesitant to discuss periods with my male friends at first. However, studying biology helped me understand that it is a natural process. Simply put, when an egg is not fertilized, the lining of the uterus sheds.

If mothers tell their daughters to keep their periods a secret from their brothers, how can those brothers be sensitive to the concerns of other women? In this era of having male friends, honest conversations about periods are crucial.

Whether in the workplace, at home, or in educational institutions, it is important for males to know how to support and comfort girls during their periods. We experience mood swings, food cravings, cramps, and various hormonal changes. A small gesture like giving us our favorite chocolate or asking if we are okay can make us feel better. Every boy should be aware of basic menstrual hygiene products and have them on hand. If you notice a red stain on a girl's pants, please don't hesitate to inform her. You can be her savior.

In a society where we worship the Bleeding Goddess and celebrate a girl's first period, it is crucial to be open-minded. It is a time to break the silence surrounding menstruation, not to shy away from it.


Comments

  1. It’s normal and we all have to know these things

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hopelessness?

This is college life, isn't it?